Island Pork Tenderloin

I often find myself struggling to find new ways to prepare chicken and pork.  I get soooo bored with the usual options and so I will search and search to try and find something that sounds interesting.  Some are hits with my family, but I have to admit most are just OK, especially when it comes to chicken. 

One day I was going through a stack of recipes I'd pulled from various cooking magazines over the years and came across this one for Island Pork Tenderloin from Gourmet magazine.  The combination of ingredients sounded intriguing, and I knew I had a pork tenderloin in my freezer that needed to be used up, so I made up my mind to try it.  It seemed to me that Gourmet magazine is a pretty trustworthy source so I was excited to see if we would all like it.

Can I just tell you that I LOVE THIS DISH!  This pork blew my mind - it is so full of flavor.  I can't get over how the strange combination of ingredients come together to make the most delicious pork ever!  This is what you want to make when you have company (as long as your guests don't mind a things being a little spicy) - this pork will wow your guests!



Island Pork Tenderloin

For spice rub:
  • 2 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 pork tenderloins (2 ¼ - 2 ½ lbs total) trimmed
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

For Glaze:
  • ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
  • 1 tbsp Tabasco

Stir the spice rub ingredients together in a small bowl and rub all over the pork.  Heat oil in ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet over medium high heat.  Brown pork, turning occasionally, about 4-5 minutes total.  Remove from heat, but leave pork in skillet.

Stir together brown sugar, garlic and Tabasco in a small bowl.  Pat the mixture on top of the pork.  Place skillet in the oven at 350.  Roast until thermometer inserted diagonally into the center of each tenderloin registers 140 degrees, about 20 minutes.  Let pork stand in skillet, loosely covered with foil for 10 minutes.